Powered By Blogger

Monday 16 September 2013

Review: Earth Shauna Granger

Earth (Elemental, #1)Earth by Shauna Granger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Somewhat torn on this one. On the one hand I started yesterday during a hair appointment, and quite enjoyed the beginning, then I read the rest in an afternoon. The way the magic was explored with the three main characters was really good, refreshing and original to see aspects from different religions playing into magic use. Very well written and engaging.

The plot was reasonably fast paced, and for a YA novel focused on magic, no real romantic subplot, which was slightly surprising. My main issue with the novel was I didn't particularly like the main character Shayna. She came across to be as being obnoxious and something of a know it all. And too powerful. And even though she and her two friends were supposed to be in the magic thing together she did a lot on her own without bothering to get their input and that annoyed me. And she was rather rude to the new guy she was trying to pretend she didn't have a crush on several times. And she kept referring to her home town as "my city" "my town". Particularly when dark magic rituals were showing up. I can understand being pissed off at dark magic when you're a white witch, but from her tone it was like she and her friends were the only ones who had the right to be doing any magic and having her talk about her town came across as stuck up for a seventeen year old.

Also, over use of the word "dude". Do seventeen year old girls really use that word in every other sentence?

But the plot itself was compelling enough for me to read the bulk of the novel in an afternoon. I would definitely like to read more by this author, but I don't know if I'll be reading the rest of this particular series.

No comments:

Post a Comment